Policies and procedures

The link below provides access to the University of Missouri System Code of Conduct for Relationships with Student Loan Lending Institutions. This code of conduct is fully applicable to Missouri University of Science and Technology as one of the four UM System universities.

View the regulation

Students who are degree seeking at Missouri S&T can attend classes at another college/university and simultaneously combine hours at both institutions for financial aid purposes. It is possible to receive financial aid under these circumstances as long as certain requirements are met:

  • The course(s) you take at the other institution must be a requirement of your degree program and approved by your academic advisor at Missouri S&T.
  • The course(s) you take at the other institution must be transferable to Missouri S&T.
  • You must be in good academic standing at Missouri S&T.
  • You must be enrolled at least half time (6 hours for Undergrad and 4 hours for Grad---or be on an approved co-op or internship) at Missouri S&T during the semester you are on a consortium agreement.
  • Pell Grant recalculation will be determined based on enrollment at both institutions as of the end of the 2nd week of Missouri S&T classes each semester.
  • Only enrollment at Missouri S&T and other institutions in the University of Missouri system will count towards the enrollment requirements for any financial aid funded by Missouri S&T (e.g.-incoming freshman merit scholarships)
  • Correspondence courses are NOT eligible.
  • Summer consortium agreements are NOT available.

General information

Your financial aid will be awarded by the institution from which you will receive your degree. The school from which you will graduate is the “home” institution that must process a consortium agreement with the other school, also called the “host” institution.

The purpose of a consortium agreement is to ensure disbursement of the proper amount of financial aid. Consortium agreements will only be processed if they are necessary for you to receive your financial aid. If you enroll simultaneously at Missouri S&T and another school, the total registration hours between the two schools will be used to determine your financial aid eligibility at Missouri S&T.  A forfeiture of some financial aid may occur depending on the 'host' institution you are choosing to attend.  

You will be responsible for paying all program fees at the other institution using the financial aid that is refunded to you by the Missouri S&T Cashier’s office. Missouri S&T will not make payment directly to the other school. This agreement is for only one academic term and not for the academic year.

If you receive financial aid for classes taken at another college or university, Missouri S&T must receive an official transcript of these courses, even though the grades could be detrimental to your overall grade-point average. It is your responsibility to provide an official transcript to us. We must also have the official transcript before calculating your satisfactory academic progress. Not receiving the official transcript could result in loss of that semester's financial aid-creating a balance due with Missouri S&T AND it will delay receiving financial aid for the following semester.


Speak to your academic advisor to ensure that the courses you wish to take at the “host” institution will transfer to your degree program at Missouri S&T.

  • Consortium Agreement forms with full instructions and requirements can be requested in G-1 Parker Hall.
  • Fill out the student section and sign the form. 
  • Take the form to your academic advisor for signature so that the class will count towards your degree.
  • Take the form to the Registrar’s office for signature so that the class will transfer to Missouri S&T.
  • Return the form to the student financial assistance office for processing.

When student financial assistance receives the form, they will forward it to the host school. Before aid can be disbursed, student financial assistance must receive a statement of fees and an enrollment summary.  Be sure to plan accordingly and be aware that as a consortium student your aid payments may be delayed.


If the consortium agreement is not received on or before these dates, it will not be processed:

  • Fall 2021---October 15, 2021
  • Spring 2022---March 15, 2022

Students can work for a semester or during the summer as part of the co-op program. The internship program provides students with the opportunity to gain valuable experience while making professional connections. While on a co-op or internship, students are considered as full-time enrollment while away. All students must have reported the co-op or internship with the Career Opportunities and Employer Relations Office to qualify as a university sanctioned activity. Most students do not receive financial aid or scholarships while they are away on a co-op or internship. Certain exceptions may apply. For more information about how co-ops and internships affect your financial aid package (including scholarships), contact your financial aid counselor.

Visit Career Opportunities and Employer Relations for more information on finding an internship or co-op. CAREER.MST.EDU

Missouri S&T Student Financial Assistance Institutional Policy on FAFSA dependency questions:

This policy is effective for the 2019-2020 award year. The questions and information below are for the 2020-2021 award year.

If you are under the age of 24, have answered “Yes” to any of the following questions AND have been selected for verification, you will be required to provide additional documentation to support your answer:

Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?

Submit a copy of Active Duty Orders in the U.S. Armed Forces

Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

Submit a copy of your DD214 form indicating release under a condition other than dishonorable for one of the following: active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard, Reserve enlistee called to active duty for purposes other than training, or cadet or midshipman at a service academy.

Do you now have or will you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021?

Submit completed 2020-2021 Proof of Child/Dependent form along with requested documents.

Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2021? 

Submit completed 2020-2021 Proof of Child/Dependent form along with requested documents.

At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?

Submit completed 2020-2021 Proof of Orphan/Ward of court form AND one of the following:

      • Copy of each of your parent’s death certificates and a copy of your birth certificate (or adoption paperwork) if you had no living parent (biological or adoptive) at any time since you turned aged 13, even if you are now adopted; or
      • Copy of legal documentation indicating you were a dependent or ward of the court at any time since your turned age 13, even if you are no longer a dependent or ward of the court today; or
      • Copy of documentation of foster care status if you were in foster care at any time since you turned age 13, even if you are no longer in foster care today.

 At any time on or after July 1, 2019, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

Submit completed 2020-2021 Proof of Unaccompanied Youth Status form AND a letter from your McKinney-Vento School District Homeless Liaison with supporting documentation of being an unaccompanied youth who was homeless, or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless at any time on or after July 1, 2019.

At any time on or after July 1, 2019, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

Submit completed 2020-2021 Proof of Unaccompanied Youth Status form AND a copy of your Unaccompanied Youth determination from the director of an emergency shelter or homeless shelter program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

At any time on or after July 1, 2019, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

Submit completed 2020-2021 Proof of Unaccompanied Youth Status form AND a copy of your determination from the director of a runaway, homeless youth basic center of transitional living program or Homeless Shelter where you stayed.


If you are under the age of 24 and have answered “Yes” to either of the following question, you will be required to provide additional documentation to support your answer (even if you have not been selected for verification):

As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you an emancipated minor?

Submit completed Proof of Emancipated Minor or Legal Guardianship form and a copy of an approved petition for emancipation, court orders, or other similar legal papers documenting as a minor. The documentation must confirm the student was emancipated prior to age 18. NOTE: Emancipation due to a parent’s divorce or child support termination does not meet the requirement as emancipated minor. Being granted Missouri residency from the Registrar’s office at Missouri S&T (or any other University of Missouri Institution) does not constitute emancipated minor status on the FAFSA.

Does someone other than your parent or stepparent have legal guardianship of you, as determined by a court in your state of legal residence? 

Submit completed Proof of Emancipated Minor or Legal Guardianship form and the documentation of legal guardianship immediately before the age of 18 if you were in legal guardianship of someone other than your parent or stepparent. This could include a copy of the approved petition for guardianship, court order, or other similar legal papers.


For additional information and forms:  https://sfa.mst.edu/resources/forms/

Eligibility for financial aid is calculated using a formula called Federal Methodology (FM). FM calculates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) based on the information that you provide on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your EFC is the amount you and your family are expected to pay toward your educational expenses. The federal PELL Grant  is based on the EFC. Other programs are also based on need. The college's cost of attendance - your EFC = your financial need.

Your total need based aid package cannot exceed your financial need. Your total financial aid award cannot exceed the cost of attendance.

Student financial assistance calculates a financial aid package for admitted students based on the results of the FAFSA. A student must have the FAFSA sent to Missouri S&T by including the federal school code of 002517.

Eligibility Requirements for Specific Programs are as follows:

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) requires that your FAFSA be filed by February 1 and that you are Pell eligible. Other eligibility considerations may apply based on funding allocations.
  • Federal Work-Study requires that your FAFSA be filed by February 1; students with high need will be given first consideration. Other eligibility considerations may apply based on funding allocations.
  • Missouri Access has a FAFSA priority deadline of February 1. The final deadline is April 1.
  • Federal Pell Grant is based on students EFC received from the FAFSA.

Financial aid award letters will be made to new students by mail around the middle of March if their application is complete and all required documents have been received and reviewed. The award letter will list and explain the aid available for the following school year, and may include tentative awards that will be so indicated. Award letters for current students will also be available on their Joe'SS around the middle of March. They will receive an email reminder when their new aid is available to view. 

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment. (Statute: 20 U.S.C. 1232g; Regulations: 34CFR Part 99.) The intent of the Act is to protect the rights of students and to insure the privacy and accuracy of education records. The Act applies to all institutions that are recipients of federal aid administered by the Secretary of Education.

FERPA prohibits access to, or release of, educational records or personally identifiable information contained in such records (other than directory information) without the written consent of the student.  This release allows verbal access only. A student's signature will be necessary for any written or printed documentation such as grades. All permissions granted will stay in effect until removed by the student. 

To grant permissions, simply log into Joe'SS and navigate to the screen: 

Self Service>Student Center>Personal Information>Additional Authorized Access>FERPA tab

For more detailed information regarding FERPA please see the Registrar's website.

If you get married before December 1st of the academic year, you will need to contact our office and provide the following information so that we can make the necessary adjustments to your current FAFSA.

Documents required by the student

  • Copy of the marriage license.
  • Copy of the student's federal tax transcript, if the student filed taxes, or have used the IRS Data Retrieval when filling out their FAFSA.
  • Copy of the spouse’s federal tax transcript, if they filed taxes. If the spouse worked but did not file taxes, the spouse must provide W-2 forms.
  • Student must fill out an Independent Verification Worksheet, which can be found on the forms page.

Financial aid eligibility is determined in part by a student’s enrollment level. Most scholarships and some grants require a student to enroll full-time. All federal (Direct) student loans require students to enroll at least half-time. To determine your enrollment level, please see the Registrar’s webpage regarding hours and enrollment levels. If you will not be a full-time student, please contact our office to learn how your aid and/or cost of attendance may be affected.

If financial aid funds are disbursed to you that are later determined to have been based on erroneous information or system errors, you are liable to repay Missouri S&T the amount of financial aid you received in excess of your correct eligibility. Furthermore, if you are administratively withdrawn or dropped from some or all of your courses, you are liable to repay any funds that Missouri S&T is required to return on your behalf.

A federal Pell Grant is a free grant that is available to eligible undergraduate students that have not earned a bachelor’s degree. Student and family income that is provided on the FAFSA and enrollment status determine eligibility and award amount. Federal Pell Grant awards are initially based upon full-time status (12 hours or more). The Student Financial Assistance Office will review all Federal Pell Grant awards at the end of the second week of classes. Students who add/drop courses during the first two weeks will have the Pell Grant awards increased/decreased based on the overall change in enrollment status. For fall and spring semesters, full-time is 12 hours or more, three-quarter time is 9-11 hours, half-time is 6-8 hours and less than half-time is 1-5 hours. During the summer semester full-time is 6 hours and 5 hours is three-quarter time, 3-4 hours is half-time, and 1-2 hours is less than half-time.

Pell recipients that are less than full-time at Missouri S&T and dually enrolled with another accredited university may be eligible for a consortium agreement. Requests for consortium must be received by the deadline on the consortium form.

A student may decline all or part of a Pell Grant disbursement that the student is otherwise eligible to receive, as long as this action is taken in the same award year as the funds were received. In doing so, the student will reduce the Pell “Lifetime Eligibility Used,” or LEU, which is the measurement by which Pell eligibility in the academic career of an individual student is tracked. The LEU for each student is 600%. Once a student reaches the 600% limit, they may never receive a Pell Grant again.

To decline Pell funds, students must send a signed, written statement clearly indicating that they want to decline their Pell Grant funds for which they are otherwise eligible, and that the student understands that those funds may not be available once the award year is over.

While you attend Missouri S&T, your student account may have a credit balance when your payments and credits exceed total charges due. Generally this occurs because of excess financial aid, overpayment, or reductions of charges, such as dropping credit hours.

Refund of Excess Proceeds

Financial aid refunds are processed daily and are generally available within 3-5 business days after the date that the aid was posted to the student account if the student has direct deposit set up on Joe’SS. If the student will be receiving the refund via check, it can take 7-10 business days to receive it through the mail. 

There are two options to receiving any refunds from your student account. You can either set up direct deposit into your checking or savings account, or all students are automatically set up to receive refunds via check to your local Rolla address. If a local address is not available, mail or permanent addresses will be used.

Direct deposit will remain active until you request that it be changed. Currently, direct deposit is only available for student refunds. Refunds resulting from Parent PLUS Loans are mailed to the parent who originated the loan unless the parent has requested the refund go to the student when they completed the PLUS Loan application.

Refunds are processed on a daily basis and may occur before all charges are posted to your account. You are responsible for paying any subsequent charges as they appear on your monthly billing statement. 

Refund of Charges

Refunds because of dropped hours or withdrawal from S&T are processed on a daily basis as well. If you drop course hours or withdraw while classes are in session, a portion of your class fees may be credited to your account, based on the university’s refund policy. For the official refund policy, visit cashier.mst.edu. Credits may be used to satisfy an outstanding balance on your account. Your financial aid award may also decrease as a result of add/drop activity. Therefore, a drop in hours or a withdrawal does not automatically result in a refund owed to you. With the exception of a Parent PLUS Loan refund, all refund checks are issued in the student’s name.

Special Situations

Refund in the event of a student death

When a student dies prior to completing the current academic semester, the designated official in the Registrar’s Office will authorize a full refund of educational fees for the current semester.  Any refund will be made payable to the administrator or executor of the estate of the deceased student.  Documentation of student death should be submitted to the Division of Student Affairs, 106 Norwood Hall, 320 W. 12th St., Rolla, MO 65409, Phone: 341-4292.

Exceptions to published refund policy

The Registrar’s Office is charged with the responsibility of considering and approving exceptions to the published educational fees refund policy. Any change in assessment can only be adjusted to a rate already established.

A student who believes that a greater adjustment of educational fees should be issued than provided for in the established schedule or who feels that they should not be charged a late registration fee may file a Fee Adjustment Appeal. Exceptions to the established university policies are not made lightly and will generally be considered only for unique and difficult circumstances experienced by the student. Be sure to include all information requested (including specific course information).

Federal regulation 34 CFR 668.2 (b) allows students to receive federal financial aid, in some cases, for repeat coursework.  

To determine whether a class can be included for federal financial aid purposes, please review the following points:

• A student may receive aid when repeating a course for the first time, regardless of whether the student passed, failed, or withdrew from the first attempt.

• A student may continue to receive aid for repeated attempts of a course, regardless of the number of attempts, provided the student has never passed the course. Our Satisfactory Academic Progress policy still applies.

• Once a student has passed a course with a grade of D or better, the student may receive aid for the course on the first attempted retake of the course. Regardless of whether the student passes or fails this attempt, no more financial aid will be given for subsequent retakes. If the student withdraws from this attempt, then the student may receive aid for the third retake. Failed classes and withdrawn coursework may jeopardize a student's eligibility for financial aid under our Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

• Once a student has passed a course and completed a repeat of that course, the student is no longer eligible for financial aid for that course. If the student repeats the course a third time, the credit hours will be excluded from the student's enrollment for federal Title IV financial aid purposes. These regulations apply regardless of whether a student has received aid for the course in the past.


*This policy applies to both undergraduate and graduate students.

Some financial aid awards require full-time enrollment, some at least half-time, and some are adjusted to meet the course load, such as the Federal Pell Grant. A student must comply with the following minimum semester hours of enrollment (excluding audited hours) in order to be eligible for federal and state financial aid programs, as follows. 

Program Minimum undergraduate hours required Minimum graduate hours required Summer term
Access MO/Bright Flight 12 N/A N/A
Direct PLUS Loans for Parents of Undergrads and Grad/Professional Students 6 4 3
Federal Pell Grant (adjustable based on hours enrolled) 1 N/A 1
Federal Supplemental Grant 12 N/A 3
Federal Perkins Loan 6 4 3
Federal Work Study 6 4 3
Ford Federal Direct Loan 6 4 3
Scholarships (most) 12 9 3
University loans 6 4 3

To receive federal financial aid, students must be eligible to enroll in an academic program that leads to a degree or certificate program associated with a degree program and must meet satisfactory academic progress per federal financial aid guidelines and per Missouri University of Science and Technology policy. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress policies must maintain both qualitative (grade-based) and quantitative (time-based) measures. Missouri S&T satisfactory academic progress is defined by the following three criteria:

1. Cumulative grade point average (GPA) requirement (Qualitatitve):

  • Undergraduate students with 59 or fewer credit hours must have a 1.67 cumulative GPA.
  • Undergraduate students with 60 credit hours or more must have a 2.00 cumulative GPA.

2. Semester progress requirements (Quantitative):

  • Students must complete a minimum of 75% of attempted coursework. (Attempted hours are based on enrollment as of the day of the semester).
  • Undergraduate students who attempt any coursework in each semester, are expected to complete at least 1 credit hour during the semester. Students who have attempted any credit and who do not complete at least 1 credit hour will be suspended from future aid.
  • Completing a course with an “F”, “WD”, “DL”, “I” (incomplete) or switching to Hearer (Audit) Status or another failure to receive a letter grade will be considered as not having satisfactorily completed a course.
  • **If you officially withdraw (or unofficially withdraw and receive all "F's" for the semester) you will have completed 0 (zero) attempted hours and will skip the "Warning" stage.  You will be required to appeal your SAP the following semester.  

3. Maximum timeframe allowance (Quantitative): Students must complete their degree program within 150% of the semester hours required for that degree. Calculations are performed on attempted hours, not completed hours. Examples include the following:

  • The Bachelor of Art in History requires 120 credit hours. Students must complete this degree before they have attempted 180 credit hours (120 hours * 150%), or their aid will be suspended.
  • The  Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering requires 129 credit hours. Students must complete this degree before they have attempted 193.5 hours (129 * 150%), or their aid will be suspended.

Each program requirement may differ, and students should review the course catalog http://catalog.mst.edu/#text to determine the number of credit hours required for their degree.

Evaluation Periods

Missouri S&T SAP is evaluated at the end of each semester – fall, spring and summer. At the time of each evaluation, a student who has not achieved the required GPA, or who is not successfully completing his or her educational program at the required pace, is no longer eligible to receive assistance under Title IV, HEA programs, except as provided below in regards to appeals.         

Satisfactory Academic Progress Results

Below are sequential, consequential steps students will encounter if SAP is not met.  These outcomes are sequential.

  • Financial aid warning - The first time a student does not meet the cumulative GPA or semester progress requirements, the student is put on a one-term 'warning' period. The student is still eligible for federal and state financial assistance during this time. This step is skipped if you complete 0 (zero) attempted hours by officially withdrawing (or unofficially withdrawing and receiving all "F's" for the term).
  • Financial aid probation – Student is eligible for federal and state aid during this one-term probation period after an appeal (see appeals below). Students who are placed on financial aid probation are required to seek out academic support by visiting with the S&T Student Success Center.
  • Implementation of Academic Plan – A student may be asked to submit a 3-semester SAP Academic Plan & Appeal Form if they have had multiple terms where they did not meet SAP, or if they did not meet the maximum timeframe allowance (150%) (see appeals below). Students will be required to be following the SAP Academic Plan in order to receive any federal/state aid in future terms.
  • Financial aid denial – If the student is not able to meet SAP standards within a three semester academic plan, or does not successfully demonstrate situations outside of their control, the student will not be eligible for federal or state aid in the upcoming term.  SAP would be evaluated after the next term of enrollment for future eligibility.


If a student does not meet SAP requirements after the 'warning' period, the student may appeal the determination that they are not meeting the SAP requirements for cumulative GPA or semester progress if they have extenuating circumstances, such as extended illness of the student or an immediate family member (parent or sibling), enrollment limitations due to academic advisement or other extenuating circumstances outside of the student’s control. The student may submit a SAP Appeal Form to student financial assistance at sfa@mst.edu. The appeal should include very specific information on why the student was unable to meet SAP requirements and what steps they plan to take to make sure they are meeting satisfactory academic progress in the future.

If an appeal is approved and the student does not meet SAP standards at the end of the next term, or if they did not meet the maximum timeframe allowance (150%), they will be asked to submit a 3-semester SAP Academic Plan. (Students may also be asked to complete an Academic Plan if the Student Financial Assistance office determines at any time the student will not meet SAP in the next term (for example, if one term is not enough to bring up the required cumulative GPA).)

If asked to submit an appeal, the written appeal should include a detailed explanation and documentation of the following:

  • Current academic standing of the student
  • Extenuating circumstances that led to the student’s current academic status
  • The student’s plan for achieving required minimum standards of satisfactory academic progress

Maximum time limitations may be appealed if there is an increased credit requirement for completion of a specific program, if the student has changed majors, or is pursuing a double major or adding a minor.

Any student who is appealing his or her SAP status must meet all financial aid application deadlines and other eligibility requirements. Appeals will be evaluated within four weeks of receipt of the SAP Appeal to student financial assistance. If the student’s appeal is denied, the student is not eligible for federal or state aid, but may still enroll. If during the next semester the student meets SAP requirements, the student’s eligibility will be reinstated.

Most incoming freshmen merit-based scholarships and university transfer scholarships have a renewal cumulative grade point average of 3.00 (effective for the fall 2019 semester), which is evaluated at the end of each spring semester. Merit- based scholarships awarded as a first-time freshman are available for a total of eight semesters, and transfer scholarships are available for a total of four semesters during your undergraduate career.

Students who lose a renewable university funded scholarship due to failure to meet the 3.00 cumulative GPA requirement (effective for the fall 2019 semester) will have the opportunity to raise their cumulative grade point average at S&T to the established renewal level and have their university-funded scholarship reinstated after the completion of the next academic year (i.e. after the completion of the spring semester).

The reinstated scholarship could be available for the following academic year. The Reinstatement Policy is not available to students who leave S&T to attend another college or university as a student for a fall or spring semester. It will be the recipient’s responsibility to inform student financial assistance that he or she met the renewal cumulative grade point average to have their scholarship reinstated. This notification must be received from the student's S&T email account to sfa@mst.edu prior to the end of the first day of the fourth week of the semester. 

Once the fourth week of classes in the fall semester has passed, a student cannot receive scholarship funds retroactive for the current or previous semesters based upon meeting the renewal scholarship GPA requirement. Furthermore, reinstated scholarship funds cannot be applied to pay previous semester(s) fees and expenses. This policy only applies to general operating (GO) university-funded scholarships (see list below of awards that fall into this category). Departmental, alumni, donor (non-general operating), state scholarships and all other awards will not be affected by this policy. This policy also does not adjust or extend the amount of the scholarship, or the number of semesters the student is eligible to receive the award beyond the initial award.

Definition: GO (general operating) University-funded scholarships include Alumni Grandchildren Scholarship, Alumni Sons/Daughters Scholarship, Alumni Section Scholarship, Chancellor’s Scholarship, Curator’s Scholarship, Distinguished Scholars Scholarship, Excellence Scholarship, Excellence II Scholarship, Miner Scholarship, Miner II Scholarship, Trustees Scholarship and Trustees II Scholarship.


Current students:  A current student can appeal to have their entering freshmen and transfer scholarships renewed. The Scholarship Appeal Form must be emailed by the student from their S&T account to sfa@mst.edu. At the end of the academic year, students who have renewable scholarships, and did not meet the requirement of a cumulative GPA of 3.00 (effective for the fall 2019 semester), may submit a written appeal within the first four weeks of classes. The appeal must explain the situation that caused their cumulative GPA to drop below 3.00 (effective for the fall 2019 semester) and what steps they are going to make in the future to bring it back up to the requirement. Typically, it takes 2-3 weeks for the committee to review appeals. Once appeals are reviewed, the student will be notified of the decision by email.

Per the Missouri S&T Scholarship Reinstatement Policy, if you do not appeal, or your appeal is denied and your cumulative GPA meets the scholarship renewal requirement, please inform student financial assistance via email to receive the scholarship(s) eligible for reinstatement for the next academic year.

Final semester for seniors: If a student is in their final semester at S&T, and they do not need to take 12 credit hours to complete their degree, they can appeal for general operating (GO) university funded scholarships. The student must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours, should have the required 3.00 GPA (effective for the fall 2019 semester), and must have eligibility for that semester (they have not received the scholarship for eight semesters prior to their final semester). The student’s graduation date must be updated to reflect the current semester.  The Graduating Senior Scholarship Appeal Form must be sent via the student's S&T e-mail to sfa@mst.edu.  Appeals will be reviewed by a scholarship committee, and students should expect an email response within 2-3 weeks.

Financial aid eligibility is based on parental and/or student prior year income. If a family has unusual circumstances, regulations allow student financial assistance the option to review the student’s situation. Possible reasons for a special circumstance review include unemployment; divorce; death of a spouse or parent; loss of child support; loss of Social Security benefits; or loss of other income benefits. The circumstance in question must be able to be documented and significantly change the ability to contribute. Appeals are typically a one-time exception. The documentation required will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Special circumstance forms can be found on our forms page.

Missouri S&T offers students the opportunity to study outside the United States through approved Student Exchange Programs and Faculty Exchange Programs. Students receiving Missouri S&T scholarships may apply those scholarships (with the exception of out-of-state scholarships/waivers) to study abroad programs administered and/or approved by the university. Most federal and state financial aid can also be received while on study abroad to pay for tuition and other expenses.

Once students meet with the study abroad office in international affairs to sign up for a program, they will complete paperwork that confirms that the courses they are enrolled in will transfer to their degree program at Missouri S&T. Student financial assistance is then notified, and the student will need to set up an appointment to meet with his or her financial aid counselor.

For an approved study abroad program, the student is typically charged 15 credit hours of resident tuition. If the student is an ‘out of state’ student, they will only be charged in-state fees during the study abroad semester. Students must be prepared for the cost of a study abroad. Depending on where they are traveling, it could cost more or less than a regular semester at Missouri S&T. 

If the Study Abroad Program you choose is not a university approved program, the student must complete a Consortium Agreement to receive financial aid.  All course work taken on the study abroad must count towards your degree program and be transferable to Missouri S&T. Consortium Agreement forms with full instructions and requirements can be requested at the Student Financial Assistance Office at G-1 Parker Hall.

If a student is Pell Grant eligible, please apply for the Gilman Scholarship. Check for deadline dates at http://www.iie.org/Programs/Gilman-Scholarship-Program.

Students must be enrolled during the summer semester to be awarded financial aid. Once a student has registered for the summer semester, student financial assistance will automatically assess a student’s eligibility for federal aid (Federal Pell Grant, Direct Loans, etc.), provided the student is enrolled at least half-time during the summer semester and has not already exhausted his or her annual eligibility. During the summer semester, undergraduates must enroll in a minimum of three credit hours to be considered half-time. Graduates must be enrolled in at least two credit hours to be considered half-time during the summer.

Students who wish to be considered for university loans and other limited funds will be required to submit the Summer Financial Aid Application, which is available April 1 (or the first Monday in April if April 1 falls on the weekend). The link to the application will be made available and awarding will be prioritized based on the order in which applications are received.

What is TPD discharge?

A TPD discharge relieves you from having to repay a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loan, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loan, and/or Federal Perkins Loan (Perkins Loan) Program loan or complete a TEACH Grant service obligation on the basis of your total and permanent disability. Before your federal student loans or TEACH Grant service obligation can be discharged, you must provide information to the Department of Education to show that you are totally and permanently disabled. The Department of Education will evaluate the information and determine if you qualify for a TPD discharge.

Will I be eligible for new student loans?

If the Department of Education grants a TPD discharge of your federal student loans or TEACH Grant service obligation, you will not be eligible to receive a new Direct Loan or TEACH Grant in the future unless:

  • You obtain a certification from a physician that you are able to engage in substantial gainful activity; and
  • You sign a statement acknowledging that the new loan or TEACH Grant service obligation cannot be discharged in the future on the basis of any injury or illness present at the time the new loan or TEACH Grant is made, unless your condition substantially deteriorates so that you are again totally and permanently disabled.

In addition, if your discharge was granted based on documentation from the SSA or a physician’s certification and you request a new Direct Loan, Perkins Loan, or TEACH Grant during the 3-year post-discharge monitoring period described earlier, you must resume repayment on the previously discharged loans or acknowledge that you are once again subject to the terms of your TEACH Grant service obligation before you can receive the new loan or TEACH Grant.

How can I get student loans from Missouri S&T after a TPD discharge?

You may have received notification from Missouri S&T that the Department of Education has made us aware that you’ve had a prior student loan(s) discharged due to Total and Permanent Disability or you are in the process of applying for a Total and Permanent Disability Discharge. Before receiving any additional loans you must submit a Borrower Acknowledgment statement confirming you do not intend to discharge any future loans and a physician’s certification indicating the ability for you to engage in “substantial gainful activity”.

After receiving proper documentation, the Student Financial Assistance office will be able to determine if you are again eligible to receive Title IV federal loans.

Missouri S&T follows the criteria for disability discharge and borrowing again after disability discharge outlined in the Federal Student Aid Handbook, Volume 1, Chapter 3, pages 1-82 and 1-83.

For more information regarding Total and Permanent Disability Discharge please see https://www.disabilitydischarge.com

The U.S. Department of Education has regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. If a student received the Federal Pell Grant at multiple institutions during the last three academic years, the student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be flagged for unusual enrollment history (UEH). Unusual Enrollment History must be resolved before a student will receive Federal Financial Aid. The student’s Student Aid Report (SAR) will reflect any unusual enrollment history, and the Student Financial Assistance Office will be required to review enrollment history to determine whether or not the student is enrolling only long enough to receive refunds of Federal Student Aid. If the student received the Federal Pell Grant and credit hours (passing grades: A-D) were not earned at each institution during these award years, the student may be determined ineligible for Federal Financial Aid. The student may be asked to provide valid documentation explaining the reason behind the unusual enrollment history. Students whose aid eligibility is denied as a result of unusual enrollment history can be re-considered for federal student aid after meeting with an academic advisor, enrolling for one academic semester with a minimum enrollment of half time status (six hours for undergraduate and four hours for graduate), enrolling only in courses that are required by their program, not dropping or withdrawing from (officially or unofficially) any courses after the term begins, and meeting the university’s standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP).

Each year the U.S. Department of Education (ED) requires schools participating in the distribution of federal aid to verify the consistency and accuracy of data submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). ED selects which applications are to be verified.

The verification process involves the review of federal tax documents and household information to ensure the accuracy of the FAFSA application. To complete verification, applicants may be asked to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or submit their federal tax transcripts, and provide other documents to student financial assistance.

Beginning November 30, 2023, Missouri S&T will be partnering with Inceptia to complete the verification process. (See more information on verification)

Who may be selected: Any student who completes a FAFSA may be chosen for verification.

Student financial assistance will verify all mandatory items identified by ED. This could include household size; the number of family members in college; number of exemptions; adjusted gross income; taxes paid; untaxed income; untaxed IRS distributions; education credits; IRA deductions; tax exempt interest; and child support paid. In addition, some students will be required to verify high school/GED completion status as well as complete a Statement of Educational Purpose. Our office can also verify discretionary items if we deem necessary.

Student financial assistance must resolve any conflicting information before disbursing financial aid to the student's account. If an applicant’s financial aid information requires reprocessing, based on the verification process, corrections will be made electronically administered by our office. These corrections will generate an updated Student Aid Report (SAR) which will be sent, usually by email, to the student from the ED. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) may change based on the corrections made. If conflicting information is discovered after aid is awarded or disbursed, student financial assistance must resolve the conflicting information. If this changes the student's financial aid awarded, the student may be required to repay aid they received in excess of their eligibility. All conflicts must be resolved regardless of whether the student was selected for verification or not.

Timeline and deadlines:

We encourage you to begin the verification process within 7 days of receiving notification from Verification Gateway to ensure you receive your financial aid in time for payments. Failure to complete the verification process could result in the delay or denial of your financial aid.

Your financial aid funds cannot be disbursed to your S&T account until verification has been completed. 

Verification should be completed by October 31st for the Fall Semester and March 1st for the Spring Semester to allow processing time for your financial aid.

Documents Requested: Students selected for verification could be required to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA or submit a copy of their IRS Tax Return Transcripts or signed copy of their 1040. This is a requirement from the Department of Education to guarantee the accuracy of the household income reported on the FAFSA and to insure that federal aid is awarded properly. Occasionally unintended errors are made on the FAFSA application and this process will verify the information and make any corrections that are required.

If you filed your federal tax return electronically you should be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA or request a Tax Return Transcript within 2-3 weeks of filing. If you filed a paper return, you should be able to request a copy within 8-11 weeks.

Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is the preferred way to fulfill the income verification request. However, not all applicants can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If any of the following apply, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is not available and the applicant will have to submit a Tax Return Transcript to student financial assistance (all apply to both students and parents unless otherwise noted): 

  • The person did not indicate on the FAFSA that the tax return has been completed.
  • The marriage date is January 2018 or later.
  • The first three digits of the SSN are 666.
  • The person filed a non-US tax return.
  • The person is married and filed the tax return either as head of household or married but filing a separate return.
  • Neither married parent entered a valid SSN.
  • A non-married parent or both married parents entered all zeros for the SSN.
  • If you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and alter the data, you will be required to submit a copy of the IRS Tax Return Transcript or 1040.

After the verification document request have been met, Inceptia will compare the information provided on the FAFSA and may ask for additional information if discrepancies are found that cannot be explained.

If you have received a financial aid package before completing verification, your aid eligibility will be reevaluated by your financial aid counselor after verification has been completed. You will be notified by email if your awards change after verification.

The Registrar handles eligibility for veteran and veteran dependent benefits. Missouri S&T is approved for the certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Missouri S&T Veterans Services staff are not employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs, and do not have access to veterans' records. http://registrar.mst.edu/links/veterans/

Information in the section is provided by FinAid.org

Veterans and active duty military personnel are considered automatically independent for federal need analysis purposes. However, the VA and the US Department of Education use a different definition of veteran, leading to some confusion. The definition of active duty also excludes active duty for training, attendance at a service school or, in many cases, members of the National Guard or Reserves.

The definition of veteran for Federal student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as the definition of veteran for VA purposes. This can lead to potential problems, since the FAFSA processor performs a data match with Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) records to confirm a student's veteran status.

Section 480(d)(3) of the HEA indicates that a student is considered to be an independent student if he or she is a veteran of the US Armed Forces, which is defined in Section 480(c)(1) to mean any individual who:

  • has engaged in the active duty in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard; and
  • was released under a condition other than dishonorable.

Section 8019 of the Higher Education Reconciliation Act of 2005 (P.L. 109-171) changed the definition of independent student to also include members of the Armed Forces serving on active duty for other than training purposes. HERA 2005 also defined active duty to exclude attendance at a service school.

There is no minimum amount of service required, so long as it was on active duty. A single day of service is considered sufficient, so long as the individual was released under a condition other than dishonorable.

Active duty includes basic training. The inclusion of basic training as active duty for independent student status is restricted to veterans. For individuals who are currently in the military, active duty excludes training. This is because section 480(c)(1) of the Higher Education Act defines 'veteran' as having been "engaged in active duty in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard" and "was released under a condition other than dishonorable", and section 480(d)(3) defines an independent student in terms of 480(c)(1), while the Higher Education Reconciliation Act of 2005 (PL 109-171) inserted "or is currently serving on active duty in the Armed Forces for other than training purposes". So the "training purposes" exclusion only applies to service members who are currently in the Armed Forces, not those who have already been discharged.

Members of the National Guard or Reserves, however, are only considered to be veterans if they were called up to active Federal duty by presidential order for a purpose other than training. A member of the National Guard or Reserves who is called up to active State duty is not considered a veteran. A key issue is whether they were under the control of a regular component of the US Armed Forces or remained under the control of the National Guard or Reserves.

A member of the Reserves who was called to active duty but who was discharged before serving on active duty (e.g., due to medical reasons) is not considered a veteran.

If a member of the armed forces was discharged during basic training for medical reasons, they are still considered a veteran for Federal student aid purposes so long as they served at least one day before being discharged.

If a member of the National Guard or Reserves was called to active duty and released, but then remained in the National Guard or Reserves, they are still considered a veteran. So long as they were called to active Federal duty by presidential order for a purpose other than training, served at least one day on active duty, and then were released under a condition other than dishonorable, they are considered a veteran for Federal student aid purposes.

To be considered a veteran, the student must have been released from active duty. If the student is still on active duty, he or she is not yet a veteran. However, if the student will be a veteran by June 30 of the school year, he or she is treated as a veteran for Federal student aid purposes. In such a situation the student should supply a letter from a commanding officer indicating that the student will be released from active duty by June 30 and that the character of service so far has been other than dishonorable.

Students who are currently attending a US military academy and ROTC students are not considered veterans. However, students who attended a US military academy or a military academy preparatory school (USMAPS or NAPS, but not high school academies) are considered veterans, so long as they were released under a condition other than dishonorable. This is true even if they were discharged prior to their being commissioned, so long as the character of discharge was other than dishonorable. (A "dismissal" is generally considered the equivalent of a dishonorable discharge for an enlisted member.) Such individuals may be considered as veterans for Federal student aid purposes but not for VA purposes, and will likely be reported as non-veterans during the data match with the VA.

Family members who are enrolled at a US military academy are not counted in household size or number in college because their entire education is paid for by the US government.

Students might not show up in the VA records if they recently returned from service, as it takes several months for the VA records to be updated. Students might also be missing from the VA records if they served 180 or fewer days. Serving on active duty for a single day is sufficient for Federal student aid purposes, but not necessarily for VA purposes.

If the data match with VA records indicates that the student is not a veteran, but the student can present documentation indicating that they satisfy the requirements of the Higher Education Act, the school should perform a dependency override to treat them as an independent student. The student should also contact a regional VA office to have the records corrected, if necessary.

Satisfactory documentation includes a DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) indicating that the student served on active study and showing a "Character of Service" as anything but "dishonorable". The "Member 4 Copy" is particularly helpful. A DD256 (Honorable Discharge Certificate) is also sufficient, as is a Statement of Service letter showing a "Character of Service" other than "dishonorable". In the case of a "Statement of Service" letter, there is no requirement that the school verify actual discharge during the academic year, but some schools may ask for a copy of the DD214 anyway.

If a student does not have a copy of his or her DD214, he or she can request a copy from the National Personnel Records Center by submitting a SF 180. Veterans themselves may use vetrecs.archives.gov (online DD214 request) to request a copy of their military records.

A member of the National Guard or Reserves who served on active duty for purposes other than training might not have a DD214. In that case a letter from a superior officer that documents the call-up to active duty and which indicates that the character of service was anything but dishonorable is sufficient. The student's "Original Orders" might be informative, especially if it indicates a call to "involuntary active duty". If a DD214 is available, it should indicate that the student was called to active duty in accordance with Title 10 of the US Code and the "Type of Separation" should indicate something other than "active duty training".

There are only six possible entries for "Character of Service" on the DD214:

  • "Honorable"
  • "Under Honorable Conditions (General)"
  • "Under Other Than Honorable Conditions"
  • "Bad Conduct"
  • "Dishonorable"
  • "Uncharacterized"

Only a "Dishonorable" discharge has relevance to independent student status. Although "Under Other Than Honorable Conditions" and "Bad Conduct" are both considered to be less than honorable discharges, they are less severe than a "Dishonorable" discharge. An individual receiving a discharge of "Under Other Than Honorable Conditions" after serving under activity duty status would be considered a veteran for Federal student aid purposes and hence an independent student. Although his or her discharge was less than honorable, it was not dishonorable.

College financial aid personnel occasionally get confused when they see a character of service of "Under Other Than Honorable Conditions". You need to emphasize to them that this is not the same as dishonorable, and that you are still considered a veteran for Federal student aid purposes.

An "Entry Level Separation" will occur when the individual had fewer than 180 days of continuous active service. The "Character of Service" will be "Uncharacterized". Such an individual is considered a veteran for Federal student aid purposes (i.e., an independent student) if he or she served at least one day of active duty service.

State student aid may have more stringent requirements for the definition of a veteran than Federal student aid. For example, Pennsylvania state grants for veterans require the release to be under a condition other than dishonorable, bad conduct, uncharacterized or other than honorable. Likewise, individual VA education benefits may have more stringent eligibility requirements, such as requiring an honorable or general discharge.

Students who are recipients of Title IV federal financial aid are subject to federal regulations and policies. Title IV federal financial aid is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded and thereby "earn" the award. When a student ceases academic attendance prior to the end of that period, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of federal funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive.

The federal policy requires the return of "unearned" Title IV federal financial aid to the U.S. Treasury if recipients withdraw from all classes on or before the 60% point in the term based on the student's last date of attendance, even if the student is not entitled to a refund of tuition.

A student is required to immediately notify the registrar when he or she stops attending classes. If the student fails to notify the registrar, it is possible that the 50% point in the term will be used to determine the student's last date of attendance, in accordance with federal regulations. If a student withdraws from all ­classes, our office will determine whether that student's period of attendance resulted in the earning of all of the federal financial aid that was originally awarded. If it is determined that not all of the scheduled federal aid has been earned, our department will calculate the amount to be returned to federal financial aid programs. The student will be billed on his or her university account for the amount returned. It is the student's responsibility to contact the cashier's office about settling the bill.

Additional responsibilities of students who withdraw

Any time a student withdraws from one or more courses, the student should consider the potential effect on his or her Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status. Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress section in the above drop-down section of Policies and Procedures.

Whenever a student's enrollment changes to less than half time, the student withdraws completely, or if a student takes a leave of absence, he or she must notify the lender or holder of any loans. Student borrowers of federal or university loans must also satisfy exit loan counseling requirements.

It is also the student's responsibility upon withdrawal from all classes to notify the cashier and residential life if the student has charges from these offices on his or her student account. Withdrawn students may be entitled to a prorated cancellation of charges from these offices.

Title IV federal financial aid

Students are considered recipients of Title IV federal financial aid if they have used funds from one or more of the following programs to meet educational expenses for the semester in question: Federal Pell Grant; Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG);  Federal Ford Direct Loan (Subsidized or Unsubsidized); Federal Graduate; or Parent PLUS Loan.

Period of enrollment

At S&T, the periods of enrollment are generally measured using the session(s) the student enrolled in on a semester basis, starting on the first day of classes and ending on the final day of examinations for a given term. For purposes of Title IV federal aid, any scheduled break of five or more days will not be included in the measurement of the enrollment period.

Measurement of earned Title IV federal financial aid

Based on the date the student notifies the registrar of intent to withdraw, thus beginning the official withdraws process from all classes, student financial assistance will calculate the percentage of earned Title IV federal aid using the date the student begins the withdrawal process. The earnings calculation is based on the number of days of enrollment, up to and including the day of withdrawal, divided by the total number of days in the enrollment period. In most cases, when a total withdrawal is determined to occur on or before the 60% point in a semester, some federal aid will need to be returned.

Receiving a grade of “F”, "DL", "I" in all coursework

If a student does not officially withdraw and is assigned a grade of 'F’, 'DL' (Delayed), or 'I' (Incomplete) in all coursework for a term, each grade must accompany a "Last Date of Academic Activity" assigned by the instructor.  This date will assist student financial assistance in determining the last date of attendance for the student's withdrawal. 

Title IV Federal financial aid returns

To satisfy federal regulation, returns to Title IV financial aid programs must be made in the following order:

Federal Unsubsidized Ford Direct Loan, Federal Subsidized Ford Direct Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, then other Title IV federal programs.

Federal work-study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need that allows them to earn money to help pay education expenses. 

The priority deadline date for completion of the FAFSA is February 1, and you will need to request work-study on your FAFSA application. Requesting federal work-study on your FAFSA does not guarantee you will receive the award, as it is awarded on a first-come, first serve basis. If you receive federal work-study, it will be listed on your Award Letter. Funding is limited and varies from year to year.

To be considered for federal work-study, you will need to meet the following criteria:

  • Demonstrate financial need (determined by the FAFSA)
  • Enroll at least half-time
  • Achieve satisfactory academic progress
  • Request federal work study for the academic year or the summer period 

If offered federal work-study, you must accept the award on Joe'SS. If the award is not accepted, it may be removed and given to another student.

Students awarded federal work-study will receive an email from student financial assistance to attend a workshop to complete their paperwork and choose an on-campus job. Once a job is obtained and payroll paperwork is completed, students work and receive a paycheck (direct deposit) every two weeks.

Students are not guaranteed to earn the full amount of their award, and unused portions will not roll over into the next enrollment period. Responsibilities and expectations are the same as with any job; students are expected to dress appropriately for the job, exhibit professionalism, etc. An award must be in place for each semester a student works. Students cannot have a work-study job and also have another job on campus.

Work-study is like any other on-campus job. Studying is not permitted during work hours. However, if given explicit permission by a supervisor, students may be allowed to study during work hours. Students must abide by all department regulations regarding work assignments.

Please contact your financial aid counselor if you wish to be added to a work-study waitlist. This does not guarantee you will be awarded work study. If you qualify and funding is available, you will receive an email at your S&T account.