Financial Aid

Financial aid is awarded based on merit, financial need or both.

Be sure to apply for as much aid as possible to ensure you can cover your costs. Explore your options and learn more about the types of aid available, including loans, grants, scholarships, work study, graduate funding, and internships and co-ops. Learn more about applying for aid.

Types of aid explained

Balancing the types of aid you use to pay for you college education is an important consideration. Using scholarships, grants, and work-study to cover your costs is ideal, but you also have several options for loans.


Scholarships are available to first-time freshmen, transfer students, and to those who already attend Missouri S&T. Scholarships are awarded based on multiple variables, including merit, financial need and a combination of both. 

Explore scholarships


Grants are free money to help pay for college. Grants are often need-based and do not need to be repaid. Funding can come from the federal government, state government, the college you are attending, or private or nonprofit organizations.

Explore grants

Student Loans

If you have used all scholarships, grants and any other financial aid options available, you may still require some money to cover the remaining cost of college.

Explore loans

Basic loan types

You will have different loan options to select in your financial aid package, and it is important to know the pros and cons of common loans, including federal subsidized and unsubsidized loans, university loans, Parent PLUS Loans and private loans. We are here to help you make informed decisions about borrowing money to fund your education; not all loans are the same.

Subsidized loans
  • Given to students with financial need (based on FAFSA)
  • Interest is paid by the federal government while the student is in college or the loan is in deferment
Unsubsidized loans
  • Proof of financial need is not required
  • Interest is accrued while the student is in college or the loan is in deferment and must be paid by the student

Work study

Work study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need to earn money to help offset education expenses.

  • Work-study is for undergraduate and graduate students
  • Work-study is on a first-come, first serve basis
  • Your award letter will indicate if you were selected for work study
  • Funding is limited and varies from year to year

To be applicable for a work study program, you must demonstrate financial need (determined by the FAFSA); be enrolled at least half-time; achieve Satisfactory Academic Progress; and request work study for either the academic year or the summer period. Request work-study on your FAFSA.

Graduate Assistantships

S&T offers various levels of funding for graduate research assistants (GRA), graduate teaching assistants (GTA), and graduate assistants who perform a combination of GTA and GRA duties. Students must be pursuing a masters or Ph.D. to be eligible to apply for these positions, which can include monthly stipends, tuition remittance and in some cases a departmental fellowship.

Explore graduate assistantships


Graduate research assistantship

Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs) perform research alongside a faculty member. The department or an individual faculty member may award these positions.

Graduate teaching assistantship

Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) teach undergraduate courses in their discipline or assist with labs and teaching. The department usually awards these positions. 

Graduate assistantship

Graduate Assistants (GAs) perform a combination of GRA and GTA duties.