Grants are usually a need-based form of financial aid and do not need to be repaid.

Funds can come from the university, state government and federal government. Grants are only available to undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents working toward their first bachelor's degree.

Available grants

Missouri offers grants to students who are Missouri residents and are attending a college or university in the state. Financial eligibility is determined by your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE) receives electronic FAFSA records for Missouri residents directly from the federal government. There is no paper Access Missouri application to fill out.

Eligibility: Full-time Missouri resident undergraduates with EFC $0 - $12,000
AmountsAward amounts may vary depending on your total financial aid package
Annual deadline: Complete FAFSA by February 1
Deferment: Not applicable, no repayment required

Learn more about the Access Missouri Grant

Federal Pell Grants are usually awarded only to part-time or full-time undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. The Pell Grant is made available to families who, based on the information provided on the FAFSA, have the greatest financial need. Funds are provided to every eligible student. Students who qualify for the Federal Pell Grant and are interested in studying abroad are also encouraged to apply for the Gilman International Scholarship.

Eligibility: Part-time or full-time undergraduates with financial need
Amounts: $657 - $6,195
Annual deadline: No deadline, complete FAFSA
Deferment: Not applicable, no repayment required

Learn more about the Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a campus-based federal program. The FSEOG is designed to assist undergraduate students with the highest level of need. The award amount will vary depending on the EFC as determined by your FAFSA. Each participating school receives a certain amount of FSEOG funds each year from the U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid. Once the full amount of the school’s FSEOG funds have been awarded to students, no more FSEOG awards can be made for that year. Apply for federal student aid early while FSEOG funds are still available.

Eligibility: Part or full-time undergraduates with financial need
Amounts: $200 - $500
Annual deadline: Complete FAFSA by February 1
Deferment: Not applicable, no repayment required

Learn more about the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Staying eligible

To remain eligibile for federal student aid, you will need to continue to meet the basic eligibility criteria, make satisfactory academic progress and fill out the FAFSA every year.

The basic eligibility criteria that allows you to receive federal student aid continues to apply throughout the time you’re receiving aid—not just when you first fill out the FAFSA form and are awarded aid.

You need to make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving federal student aid. Please see our policy for more information. You have to ensure satisfactory grades and complete enough classes, through credits and hours, to keep moving toward successfully completing your degree or certificate in a specified time period.  Contact us for more information.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that should be submitted annually by you or your parents (if you are a dependent student) to determine your eligibility for need-based student financial aid. 

To qualify for need-based aid, you must submit your FAFSA each year you plan to enroll at S&T.

Learn how to submit your FAFSA