Withdrawal Policies

Withdrawal Implications for Recipients of Financial Aid

Students who are recipients of Title IV federal financial aid are subject to federal regulations and policies. Title IV federal financial aid is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded and thereby "earn" the award. When a student ceases academic attendance prior to the end of that period, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of federal funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive.

The federal policy requires the return of "unearned" Title IV federal financial aid to the U.S. Treasury if recipients withdraw from all classes on or before the 60% point in the term based on the student's last date of attendance, even if the student is not entitled to a refund of tuition.

A student is required to immediately notify the Registrar’s Office when he or she stops attending classes. If the student fails to notify the Registrar’s Office, it is possible that the 50% point in the term will be used to determine the student's last date of attendance, in accordance with federal regulations. If a student withdraws from all ­classes, the Financial Assistance office will determine whether that student's period of attendance resulted in the earning of all of the federal financial aid that was originally awarded. If it is determined that not all of the scheduled federal aid has been earned, the Financial Assistance office will calculate the amount to be returned to federal financial aid programs. The Financial Assistance office will bill the student on his or her university account for the amount returned. It is the student's responsibility to contact the Cashier's Office about settling the bill.

Additional Responsibilities of Students Who Withdraw

Any time a student withdraws from one or more courses, the student should consider the potential effect on his or her satisfactory academic progress (SAP) status. SAP requirements can be viewed here.

Whenever a student's enrollment changes to less than half time, the student withdraws completely, or if a student takes a leave of absence, he or she must notify the lender or holder of any loans. Student borrowers of federal or university loans must also satisfy exit loan counseling requirements.

It is also the student's responsibility upon withdrawal from all classes to notify the Cashier's Office and the Residential Life Office if the student has charges from these offices on his or her student account. Withdrawn students may be entitled to a prorated cancellation of charges from these offices.

Title IV Federal Financial Aid

Students are considered recipients of Title IV federal financial aid if they have used funds from one or more of the following programs to meet educational expenses for the semester in question: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Ford Direct Loan (Subsidized or Unsubsidized), or Federal Graduate or Parent PLUS Loan.

Period of Enrollment

At Missouri University of Science and Technology, the periods of enrollment are generally measured using the session(s) the student enrolled in on a semester basis, starting on the first day of classes and ending on the final day of examinations for a given term. For purposes of Title IV federal aid, any scheduled break of five or more days will not be included in the measurement of the enrollment period.

Measurement of Earned Title IV Federal Financial Aid

Based on the date the student notifies the Registrar’s Office of their intent to withdraw, thus beginning the official withdraws process from all classes, the Financial Assistance office will calculate the percentage of earned Title IV federal aid using the date the student begins the withdrawal process. The earnings calculation is based on the number of days of enrollment, up to and including the day of withdrawal, divided by the total number of days in the enrollment period. In most cases, when a total withdrawal is determined to occur on or before the 60% point in a semester, some federal aid will need to be returned.

Receiving a Grade of “F” in All Coursework

If a student does not officially withdraw and is assigned a grade of “F’ in all coursework for a term, the Student Financial Assistance Office will make an effort to determine the last date of attendance from an instructor (based on submission of assignments, or attendance records). If a last date of attendance cannot be determined, the Student Financial Assistance Office will use the 50% point in the term to determine federal financial assistance that must be returned

Title IV Federal Financial Aid Returns

To satisfy federal regulation, returns to Title IV financial aid programs must be made in the following order:

Federal Unsubsidized Ford Direct Loan, Federal Subsidized Ford Direct Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, then Other Title IV Federal Programs.