Taxation of Aid Received

A portion of your financial aid may be taxable. It is your responsibility to determine the portion of aid—if any—that is taxable and report it on your income tax return. 

Per IRS guidelines, S&T will provide no reporting on the taxability of your financial aid.

One exception to this is Federal Work Study. Although Work Study is an aid award, you receive pay as part of hours worked in service to the university as an employee. 

Appropriate taxes will be withheld from your Work Study paycheck, and the income will be reported on a W-2 printed for the student each year. 

If you are awarded Work Study, be sure to bring your Social Security card and other identification—along with a voided check—so there will be no delay in starting your new job.