Finanical Assistance Forms


Each year the U.S. Department of Education (ED) requires schools participating in the distribution of federal aid to verify the consistency and accuracy of data submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Central Processing System (CPS) selects which applications are to be verified.  Please choose the version indicated on your letter or to-do list in Joe'SS.

2017-2018 Forms

Why are we asking for Documentation of Independent Student Status?

On the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you indicated you meet one or more of the descriptions below. You have been selected to verify this information by providing documentation for at least one of the items below to confirm your Independent Status for the 2017-2018 academic year. The information requested on this form is needed to process your financial aid for the 2017-2018 academic year.


  • Submit a copy of each of your parent’s death certificates and a copy of your birth certificate (or adoption paperwork) if you had no living parent (biological or adoptive) at any time since you turned aged 13, even if you are now adopted; or
  • Submit a copy of legal documentation indicating you were a dependent or ward of the court at any time since your turned age 13, even if you are no longer a dependent or ward of the court today; or
  • Submit a copy of documentation of foster care status if you were in foster care at any time since you turned age 13, even if you are no longer in foster care today.

EMANCIPATED MINOR: Submit a copy of an approved petition for emancipation, court orders, or other similar legal papers documenting as a minor. The documentation must confirm the student was emancipated prior to age 18. NOTE: Emancipation due to a parent’s divorce or child support termination does not meet the requirement as emancipated minor.

LEGAL GUARDIANSHIP: Submit documentation of legal guardianship immediately before the age of 18 if you were in legal guardianship of someone other than your parent or stepparent. This could include a copy of the approved petition for guardianship, court order, or other similar legal papers.

HOMELESS OR UNACCOMPANIED YOUTH: Submit a letter from your McKinney-Vento School District Homeless Liaison with supporting documentation of being an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless at any time on or after July 1, 2017.

VETERAN: Submit a copy of your DD214 form indicating release under a condition other than dishonorable for one of the following: active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard, Reserve enlistee called to active duty for purposes other than training, or cadet or midshipman at a service academy.

ACTIVE DUTY IN THE U.S. ARMED FORCES: Provide a copy of your Active Duty Orders indicating active duty service in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.

MARRIED: Submit a copy of your marriage certificate confirming you were married at the time the FAFSA was filed.

NOTE: If you are unable to document your independent status based on the above categories, then you are considered dependent for financial aid purposes. Please login to your FAFSA at and answer “No” to questions 46-58. You must also provide parental income and asset information as well as a parent signature (your parent can sign electronically using his/her own FSA ID). If you face extenuating circumstances preventing you from obtaining parental information for the FAFSA, please contact your Financial Aid Counselor.

Proof of an Unaccompanied Youth 17-18

Proof of an Emancipated Minor or Legal Guardian 17-18

 Proof of Orphan/Ward of the Court 17-18

Proof of Child/Dependent Support 17-18

Special Circumstances

Financial Aid eligibility is based on the parental and/or student income for the prior year.  If during the current year special circumstances occur such as unemployment, divorce, death of a spouse or parent, loss of child support, loss of Social Security benefits, or loss of other income benefits; regulations allow the Student Financial Aid office to review the situation.  Please select the applicable form based on your situation.

2017-2018 Forms